PhD Position cover letter

Here you can have your own draft looked over and corrected free of charge and receive some constructive criticism to help you better refine your letter.
Forum rules
We are not writers here to write your letter for you, you must have already prepared your draft, read it over, run it through a spell check to ensure that all grammatical and spelling errors have been fixed. Before submitting your draft, we kindly request that you read and follow this guidelines.

--------> Please do not write only in capital letters, be sure to write a clear title and not simply: “URGENT”, “help” or “PLEASE READ” etc.

WRONG TITLE : HELP PLZ COVER LETTER !!!
RIGHT TITLE : Junior Team Manager cover letter

PhD Position cover letter

Postby umer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:35 pm

Dear Prof. XYZ,
I wish to apply for a PhD position in the Chair of Materials science and technology of Metals at Erlangen University Nürnberg. I obtained a master’s degree in Materials science and Engineering in February 2012 at technical faculty, Kiel University. Analysis of metallic materials and their technological applications has always been very fascinating to me throughout my studies. Now I am completely motivated to exercise my theoretical knowledge into scientific field and for this reason I expect that this PhD position will help me enormously to pursue a research-oriented carrier.
For the last three years in Germany I have been able to combine studies with work. This was certainly a situation in which I learnt how to move within the society and to be responsible for my actions. Thanks to this, in Mai 2010 I achieved an internship position at the chair of Microsystems technology, FhG, ISIT, Itzehoe. During this job I did not only perform the various laboratory tests and data analysis tasks given to me but also enjoyed the true professional working environment there. This aroused my interest to do master’s thesis by working on the same project, “MEMSPACK”. I was blessed with the opportunity to recall the theoretical background of different problems regarding fabrication technologies and characterization procedures. Working with people of different backgrounds improved my social and organizational skills a lot.
To fully participate in the discussion sessions I joined a four month long intensive German language course on Oct 2010 before the start of my master’s thesis. Overall, it was worthy journey that ended up with useful lessons which gave me the strength to move forward as a curious researcher.
My main academic aim in pursuing a PhD degree is to be a professional with highly specialized knowledge and expertise in the field of Materials Science. Tasks mentioned in the advertisement fully match my field of interest. The most important reason that I am enthusiastic to do PhD in your group is that it relates to my early university and high school education, i.e. B.Sc. and Diploma of associate Engineering in Foundry and Pattern making.
I believe that I would prove myself as a member of your research activities. I look forward to hearing from you. It would be my pleasure if I can provide additional information in support of my application.

Sincerely,
ABC
umer

Re: PhD Position cover letter

Postby Gabrielle » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:25 am

Code: Select all
Dear Prof. XYZ,
I wish to apply for a PhD position in the Chair of Materials science and technology of Metals at Erlangen University Nürnberg. I obtained a master’s degree in Materials science and Engineering in February 2012 at technical faculty, Kiel University. Analysis of metallic materials and their technological applications has always been very fascinating to me throughout my studies. Now I am completely motivated to exercise my theoretical knowledge into scientific field and for this reason I expect that this PhD position will help me enormously to pursue a research-oriented carrier.
For the last three years in Germany I have been able to combine studies with work. This was certainly a situation in which I learnt how to move within the society and to be responsible for my actions. Thanks to this, in Mai 2010 I achieved an internship position at the chair of Microsystems technology, FhG, ISIT, Itzehoe. During this job I did not only perform the various laboratory tests and data analysis tasks given to me but also enjoyed the true professional working environment there. This aroused my interest to do master’s thesis by working on the same project, “MEMSPACK”. I was blessed with the opportunity to recall the theoretical background of different problems regarding fabrication technologies and characterization procedures. Working with people of different backgrounds improved my social and organizational skills a lot.
To fully participate in the discussion sessions I joined a four month long intensive German language course on Oct 2010 before the start of my master’s thesis. Overall, it was worthy journey that ended up with useful lessons which gave me the strength to move forward as a curious researcher.
My main academic aim in pursuing a PhD degree is to be a professional with highly specialized knowledge and expertise in the field of Materials Science. Tasks mentioned in the advertisement fully match my field of interest. The most important reason that I am enthusiastic to do PhD in your group is that it relates to my early university and high school education, i.e. B.Sc. and Diploma of associate Engineering in Foundry and Pattern making.
I believe that I would prove myself as a member of your research activities. I look forward to hearing from you. It would be my pleasure if I can provide additional information in support of my application.

Sincerely,
ABC

Hello and thank you for using our service.
Your letter overall is very good, very positive and shows good motivation. There are a few minor grammatical errors such as the past tense of the verb To Learn is LearnED and not LearnT (It is underlined if you do a spell check) as well as the odd words such as 'the' and 'your' here and there. Please re-read your letter as I am sure it was just a small oversight when you re-read it to quickly. Run another spell check as well just to be sure.
Kind regards and good luck!
Gabrielle
Gabrielle
Animator
Animator

Return to Free Letter Correction Service